Re: [Shop-talk] Furnace Filters

To: Jim Stone <1789alpine@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Furnace Filters
From: Ian McFetridge <shop-talk2@mcfetridge.org>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 17:26:51 -0500
Cc: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>

--00000000000046d7a805d30e92e0

Hi Jim,
That is basically what I did with our HVAC system when I couldn't get the
4" filters during CV supply craziness.  The 4" was supposed to be changed
between 4 and 6 months, so I just bought the 1" filter and changed it each
month.  I did use bent wire (like what is used to hold an insulation batt
between joists) to press the 1" filter against the side of the enclosure.
We've since moved, but I did not have any issues with it; in fact, I think
changing the 1" filter more often did a better job balancing filtration and
flow.

Best,
Ian

On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 5:20 PM Jim Stone <1789alpine@gmail.com> wrote:

> The company that installed my HVAC system a few years ago used a filter
> box on the return line that takes 20=E2=80=9D x 25" x* 4=E2=80=9D* filter=
s, which is an
> unusual, and thus expensive, size - filters generally run about $25 each =
-
> that is not readily available other than online.  During construction, my
> general contractor just had a cheap 20=E2=80=9D x 25" x *1=E2=80=9D *filt=
er in there that
> seemed to work just fine.  I checked the installation instructions for th=
> furnace and there are no specifications for the filters, other than that
> they need to be changed regularly, which is getting pretty expensive.  Is
> there any reason I couldn=E2=80=99t just use 1=E2=80=9D filters, which ar=
e less than half
> the price?  Maybe even put two of them in the box, a good one first to
> catch most of the dust and a cheap one like the contractor used as a
> secondary one.  It is a snug fit and I don=E2=80=99t think there is any d=
anger of
> them tipping, but two would make it impossible.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

--00000000000046d7a805d30e92e0

AC system when I couldn&#39;t get the 4&quot; filters during CV supply craz=
iness.=C2=A0 The 4&quot; was supposed to be changed between 4 and 6 months,=
 so I just bought the 1&quot; filter and changed it each month.=C2=A0 I did=
 use bent wire (like what is used to hold an insulation batt between joists=
) to press the 1&quot; filter against the side of the enclosure.=C2=A0 We&#=
39;ve since moved, but I did not have any issues with it; in fact, I think =
changing the 1&quot; filter more often did a better job balancing filtratio=
r><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Mon, =
Dec 13, 2021 at 5:20 PM Jim Stone &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:1789alpine@gmail.co=
quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,=
204);padding-left:1ex"><div style=3D"overflow-wrap: break-word;">The compan=
y that installed my HVAC system a few years ago used a filter box on the re=
turn line that takes 20=E2=80=9D x 25&quot; x<b> 4=E2=80=9D</b> filters, wh=
ich is an unusual, and thus expensive, size - filters generally run about $=
25 each - that is not readily available other than online.=C2=A0 During con=
struction, my general contractor just had a=C2=A0cheap 20=E2=80=9D x 25&quo=
t; x <b>1=E2=80=9D </b>filter in there that seemed to work just fine.=C2=A0=
 I checked the installation instructions for the furnace and there are no s=
pecifications for the filters, other than that they need to be changed regu=
larly, which is getting pretty expensive.=C2=A0 Is there any reason I could=
n=E2=80=99t just use 1=E2=80=9D filters, which are less than half the price=
?=C2=A0 Maybe even put two of them in the box, a good one first to catch mo=
st of the dust and a cheap one like the contractor used as a secondary one.=
=C2=A0 It is a snug fit and I don=E2=80=99t think there is any danger of th=
ox.team.net</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk"; rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a href=
=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">htt=