Re: [Shop-talk] palletizing stuff and getting the pallets shipped... hel

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] palletizing stuff and getting the pallets shipped... help?
From: Richard George <rkg@teleport.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2022 10:24:08 -0700

--------------02M5P6y6oHL3FdjRY35zhy1S

Hi everybody.

First off, thank you again for all your input on this shipping issue.  I
got it done, and thought I would share the "experience" in case anybody
else is confronted with this.

In the end, I got the total number of boxes down to 24, weighing ~450
lb. and taking up ~40 ft^3

After much calling, I found that -if- I had it palletized and had a
$600-800 (There were some services that look for available space that
might well have been less, but you don't know their best price until you
have the items ready to go and then request a number) - lift truck for
pallet added $50 or so.  The problem is that I wasn't there (no pallet
handling gear, have never palletized stuff, etc) - I needed somebody to
palletize the stuff and stick it on whatever truck was going cross
country.  I found several companies that do this, but it wasn't cheap -
lowest quote was $1800 to pick up the boxes, palletize, and send them to
the destination).

The PODS guys wouldn't deliver a cube to the auction house's location
and recommended U-pack.  A quote for moving the smallest cube they have
to the auction house's address was $3700 (ouch).

What did I do?  I ended up shipping them all by UPS ground using
pirateship - doing that, it cost me ~$860 to send the 24 boxes to the
auction house, which was more or less what the more expensive freight
quotes were.

Best,

rkg

(Richard George)

On 9/28/2022 4:42 AM, DAVID MASSEY wrote:
> PODS or equivalent such as PACKRAT.
> https://www.1800packrat.com/
>
> Dave

  <head>
  </head>
      issue.  I got it done, and thought I would share the "experience"
      in case anybody else is confronted with this.</p>
      ~450 lb. and taking up ~40 ft^3</p>
      a loading dock/pallet handling gear, I could get it to its
      destination for $600-800 (There were some services that look for
      available space that might well have been less, but you don't know
      their best price until you have the items ready to go and then
      request a number) - lift truck for pallet added $50 or so.  The
      problem is that I wasn't there (no pallet handling gear, have
      never palletized stuff, etc) - I needed somebody to palletize the
      stuff and stick it on whatever truck was going cross country.  I
      found several companies that do this, but it wasn't cheap - lowest
      quote was $1800 to pick up the boxes, palletize, and send them to
      the destination).  <br>
      location and recommended U-pack.  A quote for moving the smallest
      cube they have to the auction house's address was $3700 (ouch).</p>
      pirateship - doing that, it cost me ~$860 to send the 24 boxes to
      the auction house, which was more or less what the more expensive
      freight quotes were. <br>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:1627412484.1779487.1664365351037@mail.yahoo.com">
href="https://www.1800packrat.com/";>https://www.1800packrat.com/</a><br>
            sans-serif;">
              sans-serif;">

style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:sans-serif;color:black;"><br>
          style="font-family:arial,helvetica;font-size:10pt;color:black"><font
            size="2">-----Original Message-----<br>
                  sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color:rgb(0, 0, 0);"
                  class="yiv6113902975elementToProof">
                    sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color:rgb(0,0,0);"
                    class="yiv6113902975x_elementToProof">
                    To follow up on Eric's comments, look into PODS</div>
                    sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color:rgb(0,0,0);"
                    class="yiv6113902975x_elementToProof">
                    sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color:rgb(0,0,0);"
                    class="yiv6113902975x_elementToProof">
                    <a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer"
                      target="_blank" href="https://www.pods.com/";
                      id="yiv6113902975LPNoLPOWALinkPreview"
                      moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">https://www.pods.com/</a><br>
                    yiv6113902975x__EType_OWALinkPreview
                    yiv6113902975x__EId_OWALinkPreview
                    yiv6113902975x__EReadonly_1">
                    sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color:rgb(0,0,0);"
                    class="yiv6113902975x_elementToProof">
                    If the stuff isn't big and heavy and packs well into
                    boxes, this could be the way to go. Load the POD at
                    the location and let them bring it to the Auction
                    House. No pallets or strapping needed.</div>
                    sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color:rgb(0,0,0);"
                    class="yiv6113902975x_elementToProof">
                    sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color:rgb(0,0,0);"
                    class="yiv6113902975x_elementToProof">
                    Brian</div>
                    sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color:rgb(0,0,0);"
                    class="yiv6113902975x_elementToProof">
                    Nampa, ID</div>
                  <hr tabindex="-1"
                    style="display:inline-block;width:98%;">
                      style="font-size:11pt;" face="Calibri, sans-serif"
                      color="#000000"><b>From:</b> Shop-talk
                      <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:shop-talk-bounces@autox.team.net";>&lt;shop-talk-bounces@autox.team.net&gt;</a>
 on behalf
                      of <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:eric@megageek.com";>eric@megageek.com</a> <a
class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:eric@megageek.com";>&lt;eric@megageek.com&gt;</a><br>
                      <b>To:</b> <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Shop-talk@autox.team.net";>Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a>
                      <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:Shop-talk@autox.team.net";>&lt;Shop-talk@autox.team.net&gt;</a><br>
                      <b>Subject:</b> Re: [Shop-talk] palletizing stuff
                      and getting the pallets shipped... help?</font>
                      style="font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif;">Rkg,</span>
                      are a few options.  If you only have a few pallets
                      worth of items, go out and buy some "pallet wrap"
                      (big roll of clear cling wrap.)</span>
                      in the local craigslist for someone getting rid of
                      a solar pool cover (should be easy this time of
                      year.)  They are large plastic blankets of bubble
                      wrap.  Also, you'll find a TON of people giving
                      away pallets.</span> <br>
                      the items on a pallet and bolt it to the pallet.
                       Then wrap in the bubble wrap, then the pallet
                      wrapping.  </span>
                      done, have a list of all the items/pallets with
                      dimensions.  If you know the weight, that is much
                      better.</span>
                      contact a shipping company near you and tell them
                      you have X many pallets that need to be shipped.
                       You may have enough for a full truck (best bet.)
                       If not, you are a 'ltt'  (less than truckload.)
                      this just means you'll pay more.</span> <br>
                      them know you need a lift gate.  IF you have a
                      good paved driveway, they can use the pallet jack
                      to load them.  If not, you may have to rent a
                      forklift, or have a buddy with a tractor and forks
                      come over on the pick up day.</span> <br>
                      you'll have to make arrangements on the other end.
                       If you have a paved driveway there, it might not
                      be too bad.</span>
                      is NOT the ideal way, but it will work.</span>
                      you have LOTS of stuff, going to a single
                      location, here is the best way to do it.</span>
                      a shipping company that will drop off a
                      'intermodal container' (the standard shipping
                      container.)  You'll have to decide if you need a
                      20' or 40'.</span>
                      will drop it off for you to load on your own.  You
                      don't need pallets, just pack the stuff in there
                      and use tiedowns and wedge things together.  This
                      is also a good time to find people getting rid of
                      mattresses and you can put them in between items.</span>
                      load the container up (at ground level) and they
                      pick it up, and drop it off for you to unload at
                      the other side.  They normally charge a fee for
                      the 'rental' time of the unit, so plan well and be
                      ready to load it and unload it right away.</span>
                      you are in NJ, let me know, I can easily help you
                      with this.</span>
style="font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif;">Moose</span>

style="font-size:9pt;color:#5f5f5f;font-family:sans-serif;">From:
                      style="font-size:9pt;font-family:sans-serif;">Richard
                      George <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:rkg@teleport.com";>&lt;rkg@teleport.com&gt;</a></span>

style="font-size:9pt;color:#5f5f5f;font-family:sans-serif;">To:
                      style="font-size:9pt;font-family:sans-serif;">shop-talk
                      <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:shop-talk@autox.team.net";>&lt;shop-talk@autox.team.net&gt;</a></span>

style="font-size:9pt;color:#5f5f5f;font-family:sans-serif;">Date:
                      style="font-size:9pt;font-family:sans-serif;">09/27/2022
                      05:15 PM</span>

style="font-size:9pt;color:#5f5f5f;font-family:sans-serif;">Subject:
                      style="font-size:9pt;font-family:sans-serif;">[Shop-talk]
                      palletizing stuff and getting the pallets
                      shipped... help?</span>

style="font-size:9pt;color:#5f5f5f;font-family:sans-serif;">Sent
                      by:        </span><span
                      style="font-size:9pt;font-family:sans-serif;">"Shop-talk"
                      <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:shop-talk-bounces@autox.team.net";>&lt;shop-talk-bounces@autox.team.net&gt;</a></span>
                    <hr noshade="noshade">
                        I'm dealing with my dad's estate and have a
                        large quantity of stuff <br>
                        (tools - ob. shop content) to send across
                        country to get auctioned off.  <br>
                        I was originally looking at using normal
                        shipping methods (boxes sent at <br>
                        a discount via pirate ship), but it turns out
                        the house is confident <br>
                        they can deal with far more "stuff" than I had
                        originally envisioned <br>
                        (would be 40 or so of those home depot small and
                        medium moving boxes,a <br>
                        few banker boxes, etc I think).<br>
                        I am guessing when one has that much material
                        its probably going to be a <br>
                        lot cheaper to palletize it/put them on a truck
                        and ship them to the <br>
                        auction house that way rather than trying to
                        ship the boxes <br>
                        individually.  The trouble is that I'm not set
                        up to do that.  I don't <br>
                        have any pallet jacks, don't exactly have any
                        place to do the wrapping <br>
                        (they are all in storage - I suppose I could do
                        it there, but again, no <br>
                        pallet jack and while the storage space would
                        let me work there but I <br>
                        think getting a truck there might be a cluster,
                        etc).  In addition, <br>
                        while I've packed a LOT of stuff for shipment
                        over the years, I haven't <br>
                        ever loaded up items on a pallet/wrapped the
                        pallet for shipment so that <br>
                        the will make it, actually tried to use a
                        freight company for shipment, <br>
                        etc.  And... the times in the past I've dealt
                        with freight companies (on <br>
                        the receiving end), it often didn't go well (not
                        so much damage as the <br>
                        companies all seemed to do bait and switch on
                        rates, tried to extract <br>
                        additional payments they weren't owed, there
                        were issues with actual <br>
                        delivery, etc (story of cluster surrounding
                        shipment of fiberglass GT6 <br>
                        hood omitted)).<br>
                        So I was hoping to get some advice for a newbie
                        on dealing with this.<br>
                        Are there services that can handle the
                        palletizing/getting it delivered <br>
                        that won't take you to the cleaners/jerk you
                        around on the pricing,etc?  <br>
                        Is there a "shipping by truck for dummies" tome
                        out there, or...?<br>
                        Thanks in advance,<br>
                        rkg<br>
                        (Richard George)<br>
                        <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Shop-talk@autox.team.net";>Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a><br>
                        Donate: </span></tt><a rel="nofollow noopener
                      noreferrer" target="_blank"
                      href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";
                      moz-do-not-send="true"><tt><span

                        style="font-size:10pt;"><br>
                        Suggested annual donation  $12.96<br>
                        Archive: </span></tt><a rel="nofollow noopener
                      noreferrer" target="_blank"
                      href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk";
                      moz-do-not-send="true"><tt><span

                        style="font-size:10pt;">
                      target="_blank"
                      href="http://autox.team.net/archive";
                      moz-do-not-send="true"><tt><span

                        style="font-size:10pt;"><br>
                        Unsubscribe/Manage: </span></tt><a
                      rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer" target="_blank"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/eric@megageek.com";
                      moz-do-not-send="true"><tt><span

                        style="font-size:10pt;"><br>
            <a ymailto="mailto:Shop-talk@autox.team.net";
              href="mailto:Shop-talk@autox.team.net";
              moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a><br>
            Donate: <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";
              target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
            Suggested annual donation  $12.96<br>
            Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk";
              target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk
            </a><a href="http://autox.team.net/archive"; target="_blank"
              moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
            Unsubscribe/Manage: <a
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/dave1massey@cs.com";
              target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/dave1massey@cs.com</a><br>
      <fieldset class="moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Shop-talk@autox.team.net";>Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a>
href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a>