Re: [Shop-talk] left the light on?

To: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>, shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] left the light on?
From: Paul Parkanzky <parkanzky@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 09:19:43 -0500

--0000000000007c233a05f29ea0b7

Check out the Wyze switch. It will still allow you to control the lights
from the switch, can control other devices from the switch (i.e. double
press/hold down to turn on/off other wyze lights/plugs/switches/etc so you
can control more lights than are just on that circuit), and can be
controlled remotely from the app or by Alexa. You can also program
routines. I _think_ you can tell it to notify you if they're on after a
certain amount of time or past a certain hour, but you can also just tell
it to make sure all the lights are off after 1:00 AM or whatever so that if
you do forget and leave them on they'll turn themselves off that night.

-Paul

On Wed, Jan 18, 2023 at 9:56 PM Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
wrote:

> I find that lights and other things keep getting left on in my
> garage/shop that should be turned off.  If I leave the garage door
> open, I get notifications on my phone from my opener.  I'm looking
> for something like that for my lights.  I can use something like a
> smart bulb or smart plug on a circuit controlled by a wall switch.  I
> can see if the smart device is alive or if power to it has been
> cut.  I can also replace that wall switch with a smart switch.  I can
> then see the status of that switch.  What I don't seem to be able to
> do is tell it to send me a notification if the light has been on for
> more than an hour.  I have looked at a few smart switches, smart
> bulbs and smart plugs.  Obviously, I haven't checked them all.   None
> seem to support doing this.  I thought maybe IFTTT would help, but I
> haven't figured out how to do it.  Do any of you have any
> ideas?  Also, I know I could use timers, motion sensors, etc to
> control things.  That would be another way to go.  Right now, I just
> want a notification based on being turned on for an amount of time.
> Thanks.
>
> -Steve T.
>

> --

--0000000000007c233a05f29ea0b7

allow you to control the lights from the switch, can control other devices =
from the switch (i.e. double press/hold down to turn on/off other wyze ligh=
ts/plugs/switches/etc so you can control more lights than are just on that =
circuit), and can be controlled remotely from the app or by Alexa. You can =
also program routines. I _think_ you can tell it to notify you if they&#39;=
re on after a certain amount of time or past a certain hour, but you can al=
so just tell it to make sure all the lights are off after 1:00 AM or whatev=
er so that if you do forget and leave them on they&#39;ll turn themselves o=
quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Wed, Jan 18, 2023 at 9:56 P=
M Steven Trovato &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:strovato@optonline.net";>strovato@opt=
=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding=
-left:1ex">I find that lights and other things keep getting left on in my <=
br>
garage/shop that should be turned off.=C2=A0 If I leave the garage door <br=

open, I get notifications on my phone from my opener.=C2=A0 I&#39;m looking=
for something like that for my lights.=C2=A0 I can use something like a <br=

smart bulb or smart plug on a circuit controlled by a wall switch.=C2=A0 I =
can see if the smart device is alive or if power to it has been <br>
cut.=C2=A0 I can also replace that wall switch with a smart switch.=C2=A0 I=
 can <br>
then see the status of that switch.=C2=A0 What I don&#39;t seem to be able =
to <br>
do is tell it to send me a notification if the light has been on for <br>
more than an hour.=C2=A0 I have looked at a few smart switches, smart <br>
bulbs and smart plugs.=C2=A0 Obviously, I haven&#39;t checked them all.=C2=
=A0 =C2=A0None <br>
seem to support doing this.=C2=A0 I thought maybe IFTTT would help, but I <=
br>
haven&#39;t figured out how to do it.=C2=A0 Do any of you have any <br>
ideas?=C2=A0 Also, I know I could use timers, motion sensors, etc to <br>
control things.=C2=A0 That would be another way to go.=C2=A0 Right now, I j=
ust <br>
want a notification based on being turned on for an amount of time.=C2=A0 T=
hanks.<br>
-Steve T.<br>
-- <br>
vast.com</a><br>