Re: [Shop-talk] left the light on? (One more to think about.)

To: Shop-talk@autox.team.net type=4; name=$KeepSent
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] left the light on? (One more to think about.)
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 11:40:52 -0500 01/20/2023 11:41:00 AM, Serialize complete at 01/20/2023 11:41:00 AM
--===============1879930256611173219==

--=_alternative 005BA2848525893D_=

First, I am not a fan of ANY IOT device, solution, etc.  So I don't put
anything like that anywhere in my home networks.

Next, sometimes old school is best.  There are X-10 devices that are way
out dated (and hence, no one is trying to hack them, not like they can
without accessing your AC current on your side of the transformer.  If
someone can do that, you have bigger problems.)  They can also be bought
for pennies.

Anyway, there are lots of switches and relays and such to control 120 vac.

There is also a serial (read- NOT NETWORKABLE) interface.  You need an old
computer to run it (and it can be a stand alone machine.)

You program the interface to activate in anyway you want to or even run
marcos.  Then the computer can be turned off.

What I would do would be you program the main 'X-10' switch that you use
when you want to turn on the garage light.  The macro would do this...
-Turn on light G-1
-Wait 60 minutes
-Turn off light G-1
-Wait 30 seconds
-Turn on light G-1
-Wait 1 minute
-Turn off light G-1

The second 'turn on' would be if you were under a car or something.  You
know your 1 hour is up when the light goes off, you can get up, the light
will come back on, you walk over to the switch and press it.  This will
start the macro all over again.

Note- I'm having serious questions about your 'shop status' if you ONLY
need a light on for an hour in your shop.  8>)

Just an old school solution with new world security considerations.

Moose