shotimes

[Shotimes] The verdict is in: my gas mileage STILL sucks! What now?

To: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shotimes] The verdict is in: my gas mileage STILL sucks! What now?
From: fwhittle@mindspring.com
Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 19:41:38 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
Well, after replacing my original spark plug wires (157,000 miles) and the
plugs, my gas mileage hasn't changed a bit!  I'm still getting about 13 mpg
around town.  I replaced the wires with Taylor Thundervolt wires and the plugs
with the stock AGSP32PP's.  I replaced the plug well seals and sealed them with
silicone.  I checked the front 3 (the easy ones to check) and they're free of
oil.  The car seems to run fine.  I checked the codes and there were none
(well, only the 632 which tells me I did the O/D switch incorrectly).  Cylinder
balance came up 9 (all good).  What do I do now?  I replaced the thermostat a
few months ago (the old one looked fine when it came out), I replaced the O2
sensors a few years back with no apparent change.  Anyone have any ideas?

On a related note:  While sitting in line to buy gas yesterday (cheapest gas in
San Jose was $3.179), I pondered ways to keep someone from siphoning my gas.  I
don't suppose it's too difficult to pry the gas door open.  I figured any smart
thief would look at the gas gauge on his target vehicle to see if it's worth
the effort and risk.  When I got home, I took an unbent paperclip, stuck it in
the trip odometer hole (which on the Gen. II is right next to the gas needle),
and pushed the needle down to empty (with the engine off, of course).  The
needle does rebound slightly so that it ends up between 1/8 and 1/4 on the
gauge.  Who knows, this might be just enough to make someone move on to a
better target.

Frank Whittle
'95 ATX