Re: new to spit list

To: douglas barr <dbarr64@planet.earthcom.net>
Subject: Re: new to spit list
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 22:26:45 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, douglas barr wrote:

> ...I'm toying with the idea of getting a
> 65/66 Mk II to rebuild.  Looking forward to reading your ideas.  Any advice,
> suggestions,  do you know of a car for sale?  where do I start looking?
> where do you get parts? do you have any photos I could have? and good books
> to read? I found one on the barnes and noble web site call Triumph Spitfire
> restoration.  Do you know of this book?  is it worth getting?   BOY SO MANY
> QUESTIONS!

First: welcome, Doug!
Second: You're looking to find what many of us consider a wonderful, fun
car. But it's definitely a purchase not to rush into. The first two
suggestions I would make are:

a. Check out the Vintage Triumph Register's Web site
<http://www.vtr.org>, where you can read lots of stuff about Spitfires
and Triumphs in general. There are a number of links to owners of
Spitfires and other sites -- clubs, private and commercial -- dealing
with Spitfires.
b. While you're there at the Home Page for VTR, click on Chapters and
select the club closest to you -- probably either Long Island Triumph
Association or New Jersey Triumph Association. Contact the clubs and try
to attend a meeting or club function. Among other things, this is a good
way to begin the search for cars for sale.

Third: I don't personally know the book you refer to, but it's probably
as good a place as any to start. Such books, some factory literature or
other histories of Triumphs in general and Spitfires in particular, and
some catalogs from major parts vendors (most of whom are linked from the
VTR site as well) are another great way to begin to familiarize yourself
with the cars and the crazy people (such as those of us on this list) who
belong to them.

Fourth: stay with this and the Triumphs list! We're sort of a
24-hour-a-day (well, almost) club -- a nice supplement to LITA or NJTA or
whomever you might end up joining.

--Andy