Re: 1970 Spitfire rear "plinth"

To: "Lindsay, Mike" <LindsayM@fish.govt.nz>
Subject: Re: 1970 Spitfire rear "plinth"
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 19:47:26 -0800
Mike,
I am a little confused.  In your earlier message the plinth you were
discussing sounded like the late Mk3 one that was included only on the
'70 models produced very late in the production.  It sounds now like
someone has described a plinth off a GT6 that was used between the
license plate lamp shell (chrome) and the rear valance.  I have one of
those latter type plinths on my Mk1 Spit.  I don't know whether or not
it is original to the model, but I couldn't see any other way that it
could be attached properly.  I have seen so many Early Spits and very
few have this plinth installed.  I don't know if they were damaged in
accidents and couldn't be replaced or never were there in the first
place.

Anyway, I stole mine off a '70 GT6+ parts car.  If this is the plinth
that you are talking about, let me know.  I think I can provide the part
number if it is.

Does anybody else have any other insight on the matter?

Regards,
Joe Curry

Lindsay, Mike wrote:

> Hi Andy,
>
> Thanks muchly for your help. Once again this list (and persons like
> yourself)
> prove invaluable.
>
> 1. You have confirmed my suspicions that a part # for this plinth is non
> existent.
> 2. I was not aware that the same plinth was on the GT6.
>
> I have a friend with a GT6. I will have a close look at it next time I
> see her
> and work out just how difficult it would be to make a plinth.
> I have found a listing for the number plate lights and the reversing
> light in
> the Holden (UK) catalogue so at least I know I will be able to get them.
>
> Thanks again
> Mike
>
> 1970 Mk III spitfire
> Wellington NZ