Re: Spit parts needed

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net,
Subject: Re: Spit parts needed
From: Brian Neuschwander <bwnbcg@sjm.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 07:07:18 -0700
Brad-

FWIW here is my experience on installing the OD in my MKII

First, being a non-purist, I used a single rail tranny, since I also
have a 75 1500 motor installed.

I used a later model driveshaft (yes, with the CV joint) since it was in
my parts bin and still serviceable.  The single rail OD is 3/4 inch
longer than the single rail non-OD, so I had the shaft shortened and
balanced ($80 and three hour turnaround time).  The balancing alone is
worth the bucks.

I wired the solenoid via the cutout switch on the top of the gearbox and
then the shift lever switch (late model variety) without the relay.  I
did not find one in the schematics for the later model OD cars.  No
smoldering wires seen yet.

And yes, the angle drive for the speedo is a must, unless someone has
and idea on which larger cable and housing could work.

These OD trannys are real heavy.  I installed mounting pins in the top
of the engine block where the two bell housing bolts go.  These are made
from 5/16 x 3.5" bolts with the head cut off and the cut end ground to a
blunt point.  Thread them into the holes and then use them for a guide
and hanger when aligning and mounting the transmission.  When other
bolds can secure the bellhousing, remove the pins and replace with
bolts.

I also use a floor jack to carry the weight and adjust the height of the
unit while aligning.  Much easier than trying to get under the car and
grunt it in.

Be sure to renew all clutch linkage.  Make sure there is minimal wear
and play in any pivot point.  See earlier posts regarding clutch
cylinders.

Enjoy.
--
Brian W. Neuschwander