Re: Spitfire Reaction Plate

To: "Spitfire Stuff" <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Reaction Plate
From: "Dianne & Ree G." <REEGURLEY@prodigy.net>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 14:51:20 -0500
This bracket apparently supports a "tie-rod" to abate fore-and-aft movement
of the power-unit and is only found on "some models," according to my older
Haynes manual; at a quick look I didn't see it mentioned in either my new
Haynes or recent Bentley.  My PO 74 (3-rail tranny w/o OD) didn't  have one;
my currently owned 78 (single-rail with OD) DOES  have one.  Which reminds
me that the last time I was under the trans I noticed that the nut securing
the rod to the bracket needed tightening, which I forgot to do.
Nevertheless, nothing's fallen off nor have I noticed any "fore-and-aft
movement," so it may not be too critical.  I can't remember what the tie-rod
ties to up front (and don't wanna look right now because it's raining like
crazy).

Ree Gurley in Silver Spring, MD  --  ragged 78 Spit FM73070U O