Re: Electrical woes...

To: McCoy Reed <mccoy@moonflower.uark.edu>, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Electrical woes...
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@scooter.net>
Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 17:53:48 -0400
At 01:44 PM 5/5/98 -0500, McCoy Reed wrote:
>Please help me with my Lucas wiring problems...
>Okay, don't laugh too hard, but I am trying to fix/replace my existing
>buzzer unit on my '80 spitfire.

<symptoms snipped>

On my '79 Spit, there is a separate switch for the key-in-ignition buzzer.
It is the lower one on the driver's door jam.  ISTR it provides a ground to
the buzzer.

The under-dash lights work off their own switches, the passenger side just
lights that side, and the driver's side switch is the top one on the A pillar.

Your problem could either be the switch in the doorjam (mine is
intermittant just like my trunk light, which is good 'cause I can jiggle
the switch plunger and stop that infernal buzzing when I am working on the
car).   It could also be the key sensor contacts in the ignition switch.
If the car thinks the key is always in the ignition it will always buzz
when the driver's door is open, and any former owner that knows what the D
in DPO stands for will start cutting wires with great enthusiasm when THAT
circuit fails!

PS, my buzzer is quiet when I don't buckle up, even though the seat belt
light shines for the required 20 seconds.   Haven't bothered to find out
why (yes the seat switch is plugged in).

Final Note:   If your starter catches on fire and burns your car to a
cinder, THAT's an "electrical woe". If your door buzzer doesn't work,
that's just because it's an "eccentric British car".   JMHO

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire  FM96062 UO

Succasunna, NJ USA

OPTIMIST: A Spitfire owner who expects his car to run FLAWLESSLY and
fastens his seat belts BEFORE starting his car.