Re: American emission tags

To: Ron Roach <rroach@sprint.ca>
Subject: Re: American emission tags
From: Paul <compubbs@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 20:37:44 -0300
Ron Roach wrote:

> Hey listers!
> I have a woman who's interested in buying my '78 spit here in Vancouver and
> importing it to Seattle.  She's been told by American customs that the car
> needs to have an emissions tag stating that the vehicle met the
> federal(U.S.) emissions standards of that year, and that tag is made of
> brass and located on the engine.  I've never seen this, maybe Canadian
> vehicles did not have this or is mine just missing.  My other '78 doesn't
> have it either.
> Has anyone experienced this?  Or is the customs agent talking smoke?

First time I hear about that one.  The customs might be talking smoke,
best way to find out is to check back later with another agent or even
another office if there's another one close by.

I know that they have a list of cars which can't cross customs no matter
what due to some things with the certain car that isn't up to canadian
code.  The list isn't very long and is very specific to certain
makes/model/year.

Other than that, there must be some stupid brokerage fees that she'll
have to pay in addition to the duty.

--
..Paul
'66 Spitfire (in the works)

Something to think about this week:

 - If work is so terrific, how come they have to pay you to do it?