Re: Electrical woes... (buzzer doesn't)

To: Atwell Haines <carbuff@scooter.net>, mccoy@moonflower.uark.edu
Subject: Re: Electrical woes... (buzzer doesn't)
From: Bob Sykes <s1500@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 21:30:51 -0700
> At 01:44 PM 5/5/98 -0500, McCoy Reed wrote:
> >Please help me with my Lucas wiring problems...
> >Okay, don't laugh too hard, but I am trying to fix/replace my existing
> >buzzer unit on my '80 spitfire.

[...]
Atwell Haines replies:

[useful info about additional switch snipped]

> Your problem could either be the switch in the doorjam (mine is
> intermittant just like my trunk light, which is good 'cause I can jiggle
> the switch plunger and stop that infernal buzzing when I am working on the
> car).   It could also be the key sensor contacts in the ignition switch.
> If the car thinks the key is always in the ignition it will always buzz
> when the driver's door is open, and any former owner that knows what the D
> in DPO stands for will start cutting wires with great enthusiasm when THAT
> circuit fails!

As you may know, the buzzer module in question here contains the
logic / timer circuit for the seatbelt light / door / keyswitch as
well as the actual noisemaker.  A fault in the electronic portion
could also cause the problem described.

[related anecdote]
When my (then daily driver) Spit was just a couple of years old;
This buzzer started coming on randomly, at a lower than "normal"
volume, particularly during damp weather.  It was less annoying than
the usual sound it used to make and you couldn't really hear it at
all (over the Monza exhaust) at highway speed.  I had decided to be
the DPO that Atwell mentioned and disconnect it none the less.
The buzzer module sensed this, and changed it's behavior to a
continuous mournful moaning kind of sound.  This went on for about
3 days non-stop then it unceremoniously expired.  A buzz gone, but
not forgotten.

--
Bob Sykes
"You can't beat your brains for entertainment."