ZS Carb, oil loss

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: ZS Carb, oil loss
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@scooter.net>
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 19:46:18 -0400
Hi Spitfire (and Triumph) Listers.

The Zenith-Stromberg carb on my '79 Spitfire will not retain its oil inside
the dashpot (or more precisely, the "air valve guide rod").   If I lift the
air valve it just pumps the oil into my intake.

I would like to replace the o-ring over the metering needle adjusting
screw.   But I can't figure out how to remove the retaining clip(s) without
possibly damaging them. A picture of what I am referring to is on page 15-4
of the Haynes Carb manual.

Can anyone help me?  The last sentence of the above-referenced page says
"The [needle adjusting] screw is not removable."

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire  FM96062 UO
Succasunna, NJ USA
"Now that cars are better, why do they keep lowering the local speed limits?"