DPO and Spitfires.

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: DPO and Spitfires.
From: jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil (Bowen, Patrick A)
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 07:34:05
Greatings!  I thought I would take an oppurtune time to gripe about DPOs.
Four nights ago my starter decided to dissasemble itself inside my
bellhousing.  One peice found itself so far down that I had to pull the
Tranny.  Fine I said, I will take this oppurtunity to replace a badly
slipping clutch.  Well I got the tranny off to find out the clutch and
parts were brand new (I just replaced the whole drive train from a parts
car last month) and were in perfect shape, so why the slippage?  After
conferring with a friend, he had me try and turn the throw-out arm, sure
enough this that twisted, turned and had an incredible amount of play in
it.  Quick answer he said the pivot pin, sleeve, and bushings are worn out
and that is causing the problem.  Punch them out and tell me their
condition.  I went to do so and found out that there was no pin, the DPO
took a bolt and ran it through the hole as a replacement instead of
spending $12 and doing it right, now I have to.  I just hope he didn't
damage or elongate the hole.

By the way I am parting out a '76 Spit with some real nice parts.  E-mail
or ring me if you need anything.

Patrick Bowen
904-779-1132
Jacksonville FL