Re: Stuck on Stupid WAS: I'm Crying "UNCLE' - ZS carb too rich

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net, Atwell Haines <carbuff@scooter.net>
Subject: Re: Stuck on Stupid WAS: I'm Crying "UNCLE' - ZS carb too rich
From: Brian Neuschwander <bwnbcg@sjm.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 20:32:21 -0700
AH-

It is that glowing red catalytic converter that always troubled me.
Perhaps that is why one of the local mechanics called those things
"catasrophic perverters".

When I was running (and I still need to for the 24 month smog check),
the ZS, I found that the bandwidth of correct adjustment is very small.
The slightest bit too rich and the converter glows like a porch light in
Amsterdam.

I burned out a catalytic converter not long after I got the car.  Later
I had one built by a local shop for much less than the catlog item.

Last year the car passed at near zero emmissions.  The carb never stays
in tune, so I put the Weber back on.

--
Brian W. Neuschwander
79 Spitfire (California smog equipment)