Re: Mk IV FK 12774

To: Craig Smith <smi2685@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: Mk IV FK 12774
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 20:14:21 -0700
Craig,
Your car was manufactured in 1971.  The first 1972 model was 25001.  It
is likely the dealer that originally sold your car sold it as a '72
model because of left over inventory, ot because "he could".  It makes
no difference in the serial number whether the car was destined for
Europe or the US.  The number sequence was begin on the MkIV and
continued through the European 1500 Series, until the new VIN type
numbers were instituted in 1980.  The prefix was the only distinguishing
factor in the destination (FH-Europe, FK-US, FL-Sweden).  When the US
1500's were introduced, a separate number sequence was begun for these
with the Prefix FM.

Craig Smith wrote:

> Why would my comm. # be so far out of sinc ?
> The car is Titled as a 72, but he #'s look like it should be in Europe
> not in the US.
>
> --
> Craig Smith
> 72 Spit--Many Driveway miles