Re: Rear Axle Length -Again

To: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@idirect.com>
Subject: Re: Rear Axle Length -Again
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 11:08:19 -0700
Vic,
I agree with both Andy and Barry and might add that the larger flanges
were also used on the driveshaft U-joint that mates with the
differential.  It was the differential change that mandated the larger
flanges, not the axle change which happened (according to my sources) at
serial number 50,000.

Regards,
Joe Curry

Vic Whitmore wrote:

> We sorted out the axle length issue and the "confused" person admitted his
> ignorance. I let him claim confusion with some other make. Many thanks for all
> that replied to confirm my belief.
> Now here is how the story started and currently stands.
>
> After sliding the car into a curb (not me) the right side suspension required
> replacement. I found a used complete assembly from the differential out to the
> wheel hub as a replacement. Everything looked right. It was the right lenght
>and
> for the right side. When I tried to install it, the flange that mounts to the
> differential was different that the original. It was slightly thinner but more
> importantly, the hole spacing was smaller.
>
> To get around this, and get rolling temporarily, I disassembled the U-joint,
> swapped the flanges on the axle, and connected everything up. The big problem
>is
> the U-joint seems to be mismatched as the shaft in not turning about the
>center
> axis. It has a slight wobble.
>
> That is when I went out to get another one. The first unit ended up for the
> wrong side. The second unit is exactly the same situation that I started with.
> The flange is different than the original one. I've arranged to swap my
>backing
> plate onto the first unit and it should be ready this afternoon.
>
> Here is the BIG question. I have never seen any reference to differences in
>the
> rear assembly other than the length of the axles. Where did this this flange
> difference come from?
>
> Vic Whitmore
> 76 Spitfire (about 2 weeks to go to hit the road)

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer