Re: Blow-by

To: Spencer Fleury <boylston_st@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Blow-by
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 10:07:53 -0700
Spencer,
I took the Spit out last Sunday and put it through some high speed turns
on some very winding roads (getting the rev counter wound up pretty
tight on occasion.  After the jaunt, I carefully inspected the engine
for signs of oil being blown out various orifices and found nothing.  I
then checked the catch bottle for signs of oil there and again found
nothing.

Basically, the only thing I changed was to add the side relief port
(which essentially duplicates the function of the ones on the early
engines that were plugged when Triumph went to the closed system) and
add the catch bottle to prevent any oil that did come out, from getting
on the engine and street.

My thought is, "Any oil that is being blown out the side port is
insufficient quantities to make the trip up the hose and into the
bottle, so it is running back down the hose and back into the engine.

Now, I have to jack up the car and drain some of the Tranny oil out so
it will quit leaking.  I made the mistake of filling the tranny while
the front of the car was jacked up and the oil went to the back.   When
it is level, it is overfilled.

Regards,
Joe