Re: Clunking

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net, shmitty99@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Clunking
From: Dean Rayner <Dean@drayner.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 17:23:59 +0100
>Reply follows:

>Its more of a LOUD whine heard only under
>acceleration that comes do a virtual stop the instant the gas is let
>off.  The noise is relative to speed and seems to also be most prominent
>in fouth gear (of course I'm going the fastest in 4th)I'm looking to
>tackle this job next week but I'd like some idea to what exactly is
>making the noise.

The hardened surface has worn off the crown wheel and pinion and it is that
you can hear.  The only solution is a replacement (recon) differential.

Gearbox noise reducing lubricants such as Moyslip (in the UK) may help. but
they may also rot the bronze/copper bushes in the diff! But if it needs
replacing, what have you got to lose??

Dean
'68 Spit
'96 Ford