Carb leaking gas

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Carb leaking gas
From: GatesDavid@aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 23:57:29 EDT
Fellow Listers,

First the good news.  The '78 Spit that I got almost 2 weeks ago (originally
as a parts car) is alive!!!  I just pushed it into the driveway today to look
at it for the first time.  It was garaged for 2 years after the PO had it
towed.  The problem was a bad starter.  The battery cable was shorting out on
the case.  Piece of cake.  Compression is 120-125.  After a little
encouragement it fired up and ran pretty smooth.

But, just about when I was ready to drive it around the block I noticed that
there was a large amount of gas in a steady stream comming out of the bottom
of the carb (Single Zenith Strom).  It was comming out from around a round
brass plug of sorts at the bottom of the carb.  This brass plug is very loose
and it seems like it should have an O ring or something to seal it.  I could
find no way of tightening it up from the outside of the carb.  My other car
has a Webber, so this is my first encounter with this type of carb.  Any help
would be appreciated.

Thanks,
David Gates
'73 Spitfire 1500