failing U-jints -Reply

To: Spitfires@Autox.Team.Net, jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil
Subject: failing U-jints -Reply
From: KEVIN EDDINS <eddinsk@NRISO.NOLA.NAVY.MIL>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 08:45:47 -0500
>From what I remember it is not too difficult to replace them.  I did mine a
few years back and I will be doing them again this week or next.  Mine
have been going bad for a year or so now, so it is time to stop turning up
the radio to ignore the problem.

Kevin

>>> Bowen, Patrick A. RP2 <jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil> 10/20/98
09:26am >>>
Hello again,  seems like I started quite a string with the engine
conversion conversation.  I might have found myself a tub to replace my
quickly rotting one.  It had the floors already replaced in it.  It still
needs some work, but this might work for me.  Now my most immediate
question.  I have noticed over the past several days a strange noise from
my rear end.  I believe it is my U-joints, but would like confirmation of
this.  When I accelerate from a slow speed or stop I hear a metallic Whop
or bang.  While I am decelerating  it starts as a wawawawa sound and
then
progresses into a wap wap wap wap and then thud thud thud thud as I
slow
down.  Any ideas.  What should I check, what do you do to change
these,
what happens if it breaks while driving :0  Is this a hard operation?  I
Appreciate any feed back.

Patrick Bowen
'79 Spitfire
Jacksonville FL