Re: FAQ

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re: FAQ
From: Reed Mideke <rmideke@interbase.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 1998 09:01:13 -0800
That'll teach me to post and go home for the weekend ;-)

Andrew Mace wrote:

[...]
> Sorry, but the Spitfire disk rims prior to 1970 were 3.5" (same as
> Herald). Wire wheels for Spitfires were 4.5" throughout, whether
> knock-off style from 1962-69 or bolt-on from 1971 to about 1974. The
> 1970 Spitfire only had 4.5" "solid" disk wheels. From 1971 to 1976?, the
> wheels were 4.5" with the oval holes. For a year or so around 1976, the
> same width wheels were used, but with fewer, rather rectangular slots.
> The last Spits, circa 1979 to the end, used a 5" wheel that visually
> looked nearly identical to the circa 1971 wheel (oval holes).
>
> Whatever mention Haynes manuals might make of a 4" wheel is incorrect for
> the Spitfire range. And all of the above information is for normal
> "as-delivered" or "factory optional" wheels, not any dealer-installed or
> other aftermarket wheels. I know that there were solid disk wheels as
> wide as 5.5", but I don't know if these were even "catalogued" options
> for the Spitfire. Anyone?

Andy,

Thanks for the correction. Most likely the 4" was a figment of my
imagination (I don't keep the Haynes handy at work). I remembered
4.5 and some smaller size. What I have does indeed seem to be the
later 5" inch wheel. They are virtually identical to my oval
hole 4.5" wheels.

> --Andy

[...]
Malcolm,
        Isn't it great when software tries to second guess what
you want ? Just be glad car manufacturers don't use Windows
in the ECUs yet. Then again, it would another reason to
drive a car without a chip.

Ps: They pictures look very nice now.
--
Reed Mideke                                        rmideke@interbase.com