Re: Importing from Canada

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Importing from Canada
From: dano <dorie@stetson.edu>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 1998 12:29:59 -0500
At 11:12 PM 11/3/98 -0500, Ed wrote:
>Would anyone know of the requirements (difficulties) in purchasing a car
>in Canada and bringing it back across the border?
>Still trying to find something to fill my garage.

Ed,
   when I was about to import my Bond Equipe from Canada I did have some
concerns also.
I checked with the local motor vehicle department (in FL) and the only
thing that they cared
about was a valid title and bill of sale -- provided the car was at least
20 years old. It sailed through registration without any problems (no
inspection required...yee ha). Coming across the border was not a bother
either. The owner (who delivered it) just said that he was bringing it to a
mechanic in the US to have some work done on it. I'm not sure of the ethics
involved here, but I didn't have any problems. My advice is to check with
your local DMV.  Canada has some great cars that were never allowed here --
and at bargain prices.
               Dano in Daytona (hopefully soon to have a Herald based Bond
Equipe GT4s)

67 Herald conv.
71 Bond Equipe (GT6 based)