Off My Head

To: <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Off My Head
From: "James Carpenter" <jc_carpenter@softhome.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 1998 01:10:31 -0000
Today I took my head off :-) to look at the damage.  Anyway I made these
starteling discoverys.

The problem I had with my head studs not torquing was caused by dodgy nuts.
I had got new nuts for the car but they must not have been up to the job.
So I am after a better quality nut this time.  Anyway a bit of this stud
lock liquid was placed where the two new studs are so that will make double
shure.

Next I had a look at the damage, I think I found another part of the
problem.  I believe I placed the old head gasguet the wrong way up.  This is
perfectly posible in a ressed block, and dosent cover up any oil ways,
because it's symetrical.  If you have a look on 1500/MK4 gaskets there are
metal bits between cylinders 3-4 and 1-2, these I think go on top, mine were
on the bottom, and the gasket has been bent there, weekening the whole
gasket.  The whole of the gasket between cylinders 4-2 is black from where
it's burning out evenly in all directions.   Oh and on cylinder no 4 it has
burnt through into that silly littel well / hole that goes nowhere, from the
top.  If anyone knows the purpose of these things please tell me, I think
they just give the head gasket somthing nice to blow into.

I am putting the car back together tomorow, I will go on a hunt for high
tensile graid nuts and washers to do the head with, if I manage to get the
gasket the corect way up this time I will have a happy car this weekend.

Can anyone recoment some type of lubricant that will allow me to tighten the
nuts on the studs, yet won't let any air pressure build up under the gasket
and stop is sealing like oil does.

I have another carburetter problem but thats for another e-mail.