Re: quest. - thrust washers

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Subject: Re: quest. - thrust washers
From: Chris Taylor <spitfire@worldchat.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 10:43:10 -0800

John T. Blair wrote:

> With all this talk about the thurst washers, I can't help but wonder what
> are the symptoms that indicate that they need to be changes?
>
> Low oil pressure, a clunking sound.....?  Or is this just something that
> you should do every 60K mi.
>
> John
>
> John T. Blair  WA4OHZ          email:  jblair@exis.net
> Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  (757) 495-8229
>
>               48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V
> 71 Saab Sonett III     75 Bricklin SV1     77 Spitfire
>
> www.team.net/www/morgan        bricklin.shel.olsy-na.com/bi

JohnI was told to look at end float problems caused by the thrust
washer by my local LBC mechanic.
The symtoms were a vibration that sets in at about 45 MPH
that you can feel through the seat of your pants(as opposed to
the steering wheel).
This mechanic tells me that the 1500 motors are notorious for
wear in this area. You check it by measuring the endfloat on
the crankshaft pulley( should be .004" to .008"). Mine is .027".
Hope this helps
Chris Taylor
75 Spitfire
Burlinton, Ontario