Re: URGENT!!! please help

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: URGENT!!! please help
From: tomomalley@meganet.net (Tom O'Malley)
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 21:24:35 GMT
Avi writes...

>So when I got to where I'm now, I put a voltmeter on the batt. and noticed it
>was only at 11.9, when the key would be turned to on it would drain rapidly.
>So i disconected everything from the positive post(starter solenoid?) and
>started plugging things back in. Nothing would cause drain except the 2 large
>brown wires.  One wire would not drain if the alternator socket (which
>contains brown wires) was disconnected, the other would drain no matter what.
>So now the car is dead, I am stuck and I need your help finding  what is
>shorting so I can get home.
>
>Sorry for the length and thanks in advance.
>Avi
>&Cheech my' 78 spit
>p.s. to top it all the IGN. lamp is burnt

If you pull the top fuse you knock out your directionals, gauges,
tach, brake lights, wiper, heater fan, reverse lamps and OD if so
equipped.  Tough to get home this way but your headlamps and parking
lamps will still work.  And your ignition. :-)  Try your drain test
without the top fuse.

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley in Southbridge Massachusetts
'74, '77 Spits