Leather interiors & radios

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Leather interiors & radios
From: "Brad Kahler" <brad.kahler@141.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 07:44:34 -0600
Listers,

I was reading through the Factory Service manual for my 51 dodge truck
when I came upon this rather interesting paragraph.

RADIO

"Leather Upholstered Trucks (interference)

In cases where the interior of the truck is upholstered and trimmed with
leather, or artificial leather, there is a tendency for radio interference to
occur.

In order to completely eliminate noise in leather-trimmed trucks, it may be
necessary to completely shield the antenna lead wire over approximately its
entire length, or from a point about 3 in. from where it leaves the antenna.
This should be done with a very low capacity shielded conductor, one in
which the conductor is spaced from the shield by several layers of cotton
braid and impregnated with wax."

This is the first time that I've ever heard anything about leather and radios.
Obviously this was dealing with the old tube type radios so I'm sure it
doesn't apply today.

So do any of the more "elderly" members of the list remember hearing
anything like this before.  That means you to Fred!

Brad  (Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)
My Web Site Http://www.141.com/triumphs (updated 12/3/98)

1964 Spitfire4 BFC25720L -- 1973 Spitfire 1500 FM3353U
1962 TR4 CT288L          -- 1959 TR3A TS41311L
1951 Dodge Truck B-3-B-108