Re: Leather and Radio mystery

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Leather and Radio mystery
From: A666K@aol.com
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 11:21:00 EST
(Forgive me for not having the original msg.)
Somebody asked about why leather interior in a Dodge truck, would require
extra shielding on radio antenna leads.
Leather by nature is capable of easily producing static electricity (like when
a  person is siting on it, causing friction b/w clothing and the leather
seat). We see this in the  Van de Graaff generator, which is made with a
leather disc and an iron comb, producing static electricity sparks of very
high voltage.  This can obviously affect radio reception, necessitating the
additional shielding to the antenna lead.
I hope this helps. (Anybody dis/agree?)

Avi
&Cheech the '78 spit