Re: headlight toggle - more questions

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: headlight toggle - more questions
From: Bob Sykes <s1500@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 20:15:59 -0800
Spitfolks,

As it happens, last night I was re-reading John Thomason's book
discussing changes to the MkIV - 1500 dash.  There's some statements
about the headlamp switch that I find perplexing.  According to
John;  The (two position) rocker switch was introduced with the
MkIV.  The early cars (black dash) did not have the bezel around
the headlamp switch.  Is this the Clear Hooters' switch that Andy
describes?  Later model cars (with wood dash), probably badged as
1500's here in the States, had a different (two position) switch
with bezel.  Perhaps the Lucas version?  Now, here's the confusing
(to me) bit:  John writes that when the TR7 switchgear was adopted
in the (latest) 1500s, the headlamp switch became a single position
switch, but looked identical.  Was this only on UK 1500s?  US cars
are not really discussed in his book.  All the late US spec. Spits
I have seen are fitted with a two position rocker switch.  Can
any of the UK listers shed any light on this?

Curious,
Bob

Ryan Smith wrote:
> > Could someone explain what is different between the toggle switches for
> > the headlights on different spits....

Andy Mace replies:
> Ryan, it's pretty simple. There were two versions of the toggle (well,
> rocker) switch. First was the OE switch made by Clear Hooters.
[...]

--
Happy Holidays,
Bob