THE WORKBENCH

To: "Spitfires List" <Spitfires@triumph.cs.utah.edu>,
Subject: THE WORKBENCH
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 01:01:22 -0000
Guys
I'm returning to France in about 10 days to oversee the removal of
furniture and fix up the sale details on our (now former) home there.
All the stuff on return to England is going into store, including a
rather important bench. Indeed, one might even say it's a piece of
British Industrial History. At a very early stage in WW2, as the
Standard Motor Company switched to wartime output, mainly aircraft,
some 500 workbenches were made to an exacting Air Ministry
specification. After the war, most if not all of these, were scrapped
but my Dad 'nobbled' one and had it brought home in a truck. He kept
it for the rest of his life, now I've got it - and it's coming home
again. Among other things, most of it is painted in what is popularly
known as Spitfire Blue - but in this case, the Spitfire was not the
one with four wheels. It had three, a Rolls Royce Merlin and eight
Browning machine guns. Later versions had different armament.
It has to be said that Standard did not make Spitfires but it did
make 3000 Beaufighter fuselages and 1066 complete Mosquito fighter
bombers. I know beyond any shadow of doubt that this bench was used
extensively in what was known as the 'Mosquito Erecting Shop.'
I was talking to Paul Richardson the other day about this unique
piece of workshop firniture, and
it occurred to both of us that maybe those of you who subscribe to
Triumph Over Triumph magazine, might be interested in making a
replica of it. The idea being that Paul would reproduce its
dimensions in his magazine over two or three issues. If so, I've got
to take some very detailed
measurements of it before its loaded in the truck and I've got to
take a lot of photographs too. Believe me, this bench is a BENCH! I
guess it would withstand every missile used in Desert Fox and still
be usable - and it is HEAVY. They made them to last in those days -
and this one has lasted. I truly would not be surprised if its the
only one left. Approximate measurements are 5 feet wide by 3 feet
deep by 3 feet high. I've never weighed it but with the two vices in
place and the drawer removed, it takes three strong men to move it -
just. If there's any interest, please advise me or Paul off list

John Mac

"There's no such thing as an excessive profit"
OR
"The answer's NO, now what's the question?"
THE MOTTOES OF ALL BANKS THROUGHOUT THE WORLD