Re: Alternate Spitfire Diff.???

To: Brian Furgalus <mowog@usa.net>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Alternate Spitfire Diff.???
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 09:11:06 -0500
At 07:57 AM 1/12/99 EST, Brian Furgalus wrote:
>...all the talk about dying differentials got me thinking...  would
>it be possible to substitute out another diff from  another car
>(Datsun/Subaru, maybe?) and modify it to fit the stock spit independent
rear?
>Or would you need to convert to another style rear-end?  Just a thought that
>could very well be less expensive than $700-800 rebuilds!

Dear Curious,

One of the nice things about the Spitfire hobby is that (good used) parts
are readily available because so many were produced.   You should be able
to line up another used diffy for a lot less than the price of a rebuild
(if you buy a car that needs one).    YMMV of course...

As noted in this forum in the past, a Datsun 510 diff can be adapted to the
Spit but no one has mentioned the costs involved.

Atwell Haines
'79 Spit  (diffy works OK, thank you)