Re: soft brakes

To: "Keith R. Stewart" <kstewart@wwdc.com>
Subject: Re: soft brakes
From: Reed Mideke <rmideke@interbase.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 12:24:20 -0800
[pardon me if I repeat suggestions that have already been
mentioned. I've been off the list since before christmas,
so as not to fill my employers mail server with list mail.
I hope everybody had a great holiday season.]

Kevin,

I had a similar problem with my brakes, which turned out
to be partly caused by improper adjustment of the rear
drums and e-brake. If e-brake is too tight, the brakes
will seem to drag slightly, but a lot of pedal travel will
be required to get them to engage. If you have too much
pedal travel, you won't be able to bleed them properly either.
With the drum removed, you can observe whether or not
the e-brake is loose enough to allow the pads to
retract fully.

The other thing that got me is the 'clicks' in the square
adjuster nuts on the rear drums. Basically, I found you can turn the
adjuster less than a click (and it may feel like it clicked),
and it will make the brakes drag, but not really reduce pedal
travel. So you need to follow the
brake adjusting procedure (as given by haynes or you
workshop manual) of tightening the adjuster a number
of complete clicks until the wheel is locked, then backing
it off a number of COMPLETE clicks until the wheel turns
freely (with a very slight drag). Make sure your E brake
is adjusted before you mess with the adjusters.

Another possibilty is that you need to rebuild or replace
the master cylinder. Disassembly is probably the only
way to check it. If the bore and pistons look good,
just put in new rubber bits and put it back together.

Best of luck to you.

--
Reed Mideke                                        rmideke@interbase.com