oil pan bolts -Reply

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net, jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil
Subject: oil pan bolts -Reply
From: KEVIN EDDINS <eddinsk@NRISO.NOLA.NAVY.MIL>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 09:08:27 -0600
I don't remember where the long ones go.

Don't torque those guys very much.  The ones that go into that flimsy
aluminum will strip VERY easily!  Wish I could be more specific.  Also,
my pan is warped because the PO torqued them to much.

You can retorque the rods on the crank while you have the pan off.  If
you are worried about the oil pump, you can check it also.

I don't think sludge is normal, but I don't know what would cause it.

That's the best I can do for help :)

Kevin

>>> Bowen, Patrick A. RP2 <jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil> 01/15/99
09:53am >>>
Real Quick question.  The long oil pan bolts, where do they go?  What do
you torque these oil pan bolts to?  And since I have my pan off what if
anything should I check while I am there?  I found sludge in the pan, is
that normal?  Thanks Again.

Patrick Bowen
'79 Spitfire
Jacksonville FL