Re: [now electric] Grins

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [now electric] Grins
From: "Ryan Smith" <shmitty99@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 17:33:51 PST
Andy wrote:

Meanwhile, it dates the car as a dark red 1979, with the four-speed w/OD
gearbox kept in place. Apparently the swap wasn't such a bad idea,
cutting some three seconds off a published 0-60 time in a _Road & Track_
test of a more conventionally powered Spitfire (12.4 sec. v 15.4 sec for
the gas-powered Spit). Top speed with the electric motor, though, is
only
72 mph, down from 94 mph with the gas engine.

-------------------
I've help design and build 4 alternative fuels vehicles and 2 of them
were hybrid/electric.  I find it interesting that an electric car would
retain the transmission.  Electric motors have a flat torque curve and a
constant rpm.  There is no need for muliple gears just forward and
backwords.  Of course all the torque at a standstill can be fun if you
want to smoke the tires.

>From my experience with electric cars they can be quite quick our
hybrid/electric Lumina (Animul) can smoke a stock Lumina get about 40
mpg (equivalent for the propane driven 3 cyl), a range of over 500
miles, weighs over 2 tons, and has a gas grill in the trunk.  Top that
GM!  Of course it would cost about $100,000 to build one, give or take.

Our newest vehicle is a fuel cell powered, zero emmissions lumina
(Animul H2). If you want more info email me off list or check out our
site:
         http://www.vt.edu:10021/org/hybridcar/index.html

Ryan Smith
72 Emerald Green Spitfire