Loss of Oil Pressure

To: Spitfire Mail List <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Loss of Oil Pressure
From: MTAltomare <MTAltomare@prodigy.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 18:16:47 -0500
Hi, I am new to the Spitfire list and have a problem with my '77 1500
that I could use some help with.  After about 700 miles on my newly
rebuilt engine, the oil pressure suddenly dropped from about 50 psi to
about 25 psi while at highway speed. (I added an oil pressure gage to
the right hand panel and checked it against a shop gage.)  I also have
oil coming from the dipstick tube.

The compression is 150 psi on all 4 cylinders.  I would suspect a worn
rocker shaft since this was not replaced in the rebuild, but wear
produces a gradual drop, not a sudden drop in pressure.  I suppose I
could have a crack in the oil pump housing.  Any ideas?

MTA