Re: brake problems continue - help pleeeze

To: KEVIN EDDINS <EDDINSK@NRISO.NOLA.NAVY.MIL>, Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: brake problems continue - help pleeeze
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 22:31:41 -0500
At 07:36 PM 1/19/99 -0600, you wrote:
>My problems continue.  I've rebuilt the rear cylinders, the master cylinder,
>the PDWA, and replaced my lines with braided stainless steel......

>My diagnosis is the PDWA valve is shifting and screwing things up.  I am
>wondering if I can remove that valve and start over on the bleeding.  Will I
>have any problems other than loss of brake light function?  Any other
>advice would be great.

Kevin,

The PDWA will shift back and forth as you bleed the brakes.  That's not
a problem.  Even with the piston to one side, it doesn't shut off the
fluid flow.  However, it does try to seal between the 2 lines and serves
to isolate them.

It sounds like you might just have a massive amount of air in the front
left lines.  Keep trying to bleed it.  If you don't get any fluid out
after several tries, the only other possibility is a clogged line.  Try
breaking the fittings loose where the flex line joins the solid line on
the front suspension.  Do you get brake fluid out of there?  If no, then
try breaking the line loose where it connects to the PDWA.  This should
tell you if the solid line is blocked.  It's possible that you got some
trash in the line.

As to adjusting the PDWA, I tried to do it like it states in the book.
When it wouldn't work, I took the PDWA apart.  I found 2 Cir clips.  One
of them would not let the piston move to one side so it would never
ballance or indicate a problem.  I ended up only replacing one of the clips
but I can't remember which one.  You will have to experiment by trying to
move the piston to each side.

Hope this helps.

John

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V