SV: Clutch problems

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: SV: Clutch problems
From: Jørgen Klitholm <jk@benau.dk>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 09:39:23 +0100
Hi there, Zach - I think I have suggestion to what might be the problem
with your engine - not clutch.

The reason for the clutch slipping might lie in the crankbearings being
worn - especially the the end bearings (I think this is what its called
- I usually speak danish!). This caused the entire crank to move back
and forth when de-clutching. I seen this a couple of times, especially
on old, well-used 1147cc engines! You can check for crank-bearing wear
with a screwdriver behind the fanbelt-pulley and see if you can move the
crank back and forth - you shouldnt be able to!

And to your comment on engines leaking being normal; normal, yes - but
necessary, no. Its a matter of rebuilding the engine properly.

Jorgen Klitholm (Denmark)
Spitfire '69
TR2 '54