Re: dash overlay

To: nikolai jaremka <njaremka@yahoo.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: dash overlay
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 23:17:31 -0500
Nikolai,

I have seen the dash cover from Rimmers (ordered one by mistake thinking it
was a true replacement crash pad), and it is of inferior quality to the
Accu-Form brand overlay offered by Moss (which I eventually installed on my
'79 1500).

The Accu-Form cover comes complete with adhesive (and detailed
instructions).  You first trim down any high edges of the cracks on the
original pad so the cover will lay flat.  Clean the old pad thoroughly with
ammonia window cleaner. Then you apply a pencil-sized bead of adhesive near
the perimeter (1/2" from the edge) of the overlay and around the defroster
holes. Hold the overlay in place with the original metal vents, rolls of
paper or weights for 4 hours, and voila, you are done.

No trimming is required and the demister and ashtray holes line up well.
The cover comes to within a half inch of the windshield rubber at the
forward edge but does not touch it.

++++++

I noticed your Spit is a Mk IV.  Is the dashtop the same shape as the 1500
(which, ISTR, is what the coverlay is designed for)?

Good Luck,

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire
Succasunna, NJ USA