Re: Hood tears

To: Flinthoof Ponypal <Flinters@picarefy.com>
Subject: Re: Hood tears
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 14:39:05 -0800
Dan,
I would weld the fractures rather than braze them.  To stop them from
returning, quit lifting the bonnet by the latches.  Sure, they are
convenient places to grab hold of, but that is generally accepted as a
"no-no".  I suggest lifting by the wheel arch until there is a gap at
the center of the cowl and open it the rest of the way by pulling on
that point.

Regards,
Joe Curry

Flinthoof Ponypal wrote:

> Greetings!
>
>         The hinged front bonnet is wonderful on Spitfires to make access to
>the
> engine a dream.  However, that access comes at a price with excessive
> stress placed on the sheet metal that makes up the bonnet itself.  The
> stiffener helps spread this stress across the entire unit, but there are
> certain areas that all Spitfire bonnets are prone to damage.  These include
> around the latch assemblies and on the top surface some 6"-9" inset from
> the top welding line in from the edge of the bonnet near the rear.  What
> are some accepted and feasible means of repairing tears in this metal area
> that lacks support underneath?
>
>         My first impression is to braze it from the back side and grind it
>down on
> top.  That may fix it now, but how to prevent future problems?  Another
> idea I have been toying with is to spray the entire underside of the
> assembly with the RHINO TUFF lining used for pickup truck beds.  This will
> add a lot of weight, but should also help strengthen the unit and make it
> much more resistant to water damage.

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer