Re: rear axle question

To: sailnbail@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: rear axle question
From: Huw Upshall <hupshall@wolfenet.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 19:44:15 -0800
Well, I wanted everyone to know what happened:

I ended up taking the rear axles down to the local napa autoparts store
where they had a large enough press to pull the trunnions of the axles.  I
then tapped out the outer bearings with a dowel and hammered out the inner
bearings.  My outer bearings are shot and will need to be replaced but hey,
It's all ready to be put back together with new grease and seals.  Thanks
to Joe and Patrick for their help.

At 09:55 PM 1/20/99 -0500, you wrote:

>Huw,
>I just finished disassembling the rear axle assemblies on my 70 spit.  I
>completely removed whole rear axle assembly from the vehicle so I could
work on
>a bench.  After removing the Drum, brakes, and of course the hub flange, I
>removed the 4 bolts which hold the brake back plate to the trunnion. I
removed
>the grease shield, and grease seal.  Now using my 2 jaw gear puller, I pushed
>the axle shaft out of the trunnion which now holds the bearings and seals,
 Then

http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/pit/7864/Triumph/