Re: reverse detent...or lack there of

To: Rob Travis <sixt6spitfire@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: reverse detent...or lack there of
From: Bill Kelly <bk54@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 20:48:53 -0500
Rob Travis wrote,

> Just a quick question, on my MkII is there supposed to be a detent for
> reverse. It gets a little confusing when I accidentally shift into
> reverse, instead of first at a light. If there is one, is it easily
> repaired?

Well, yes. You're supposed to have to press downward on the knob to get
into the Reverse gate. It's easily fixed - you have to remove the
gearbox cover to get at the two parts in question - but you don't have
to remove anything serious.

Till you fix it, do what I did for 20 years - to get into 1st (at a full
stop) always go straight up from 2nd.

Bill Kelly
'62 Herald with fixed Reverse Lockout