up in smoke

To: "Spitfire Mail List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: up in smoke
From: "Jay Heaman" <jheaman@woodstockpuc.on.ca>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 08:14:11 -0500
Just a question on the ignition circuit. I've recently replaced the
distributor, wires etc, and cleaned up some of the grounding circuits.
Everything has been fine for the past couple of weeks.  I ended up finding
another issue (this was spooky considering all the group  discussion on fire
ext.) The ballast resistor started overheating and eventually smoking when
the ignition was turned on. Other than replace the clutch master last night,
I did nothing else to the car. Does this indicate a short in the coil? I
have a strong electrical background, but not much experience with this type
of wiring.
Anyway, before killing too much time tracing this out ( it was midnight by
the time I found this problem) I  thought the group  might have a quick
"been there, done that" for me.
Best Regards,
Jay Heaman
'71 Spitfire