Re: (Fwd) [oletrucks] A horrifying ol' truck story....

To: "Craig Smith" <CraigS@iewc.com>, "'Brad Kahler'" <brad.kahler@141.com>,
Subject: Re: (Fwd) [oletrucks] A horrifying ol' truck story....
From: "james carpenter" <james@jccsystems.swinternet.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 20:36:56 -0000
I have had a CO detector in all my room since being at university, bar this
year (no gas fire).  In the second year of Uni. I had two, one the landlord
supplied a plug in one, and my patch detector.  The plug in one keaped on
going off, even if there had been no gas appliances on in the house for a
day, and the front an back doors were open with the wind blown though.  I
then put two and two together, the duel carriage way outside our house.  If
the wind was in the right direction we got the fumes, only thing is you
can't get away from it that easy.

My sister in Uni. halls in Cardiff and all in here flat had the symptoms of
CO poisoning, a bit strange because there are no gas appliances in there
flat.  So the pop down the DIY centre and get a patch type detector.  They
then get ready to go out for the night.  Next day they all again wake up
with headaches, and the CO patch is black.  So they reported it to the
security gard, who said you all have hangovers and not to believe the patch
go away and stop bothering me.  One of them phoned there parents and said
about this, the parent natural was livid  and called the gas board.  They
came round to investigate, and found nothing.  This real annoyed the
security gard who gave the whole flat a telling off, saying they undermined
his authority etc.  Then on Monday he suddenly was a security gard no more.

After all that my sister looked at the instructions for the CO patch, "Do
not use hair spay near", oops.

I think this says something about the different types of detector about.
The electric ones are really sensitive, they really need to give some level
of reading apart from bleeping.  The patch type take an 1hr to react, even
then aerosols and other chemicals can make the turn.