Re: Top 10 Tools

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Top 10 Tools
From: "james carpenter" <james@jccsystems.swinternet.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 15:44:24 -0000

1. Gaffer Tape - Used by Gaffers the highly skilled people in film
production who have a natural ability to stick thing where it can't be seen.
I use cloth tape because it's not as sticky as duck, but wider than the
gaffer I have come accross. This perticular stuff, looks amost like black
vinal if you squint, and so repairs my interiour.

2. Mole Wrench (also known as Vise Grips) -  I would also include Stilsons
(plumbers wrench)24" stilsons are extreamly effective, and allow you to
tackle the engin crank bolt.

3. WD40 (or other Spray Lubricants) - This is horible stuff, it's highly
flamable, and the oil evaporates off after a while leaving a water absorbing
residue which makes ignition problems 10 times worse.  You need to replace
it with the things, 3 in one, plus gas (or equivilent), and ignition
sealent.

4. Margarine Tubs with Clear Lids - You can use it to clean things in also
with someone elses tooth brush.

5. Big Rock at the Side of the Road - You are forgetting, put it in your
boot to keep the rear end down.

6. Plastic Zip Ties - Holds my electric fan to my radiator.

7. Ridiculously Large Screwdriver - Check, goes with my rediculasly large
adjustable spanner.

8. Baling Wire - Keeps the exhaust patch in place.

9. Knocking Stick/Pry Bar - Don't have one of these, do have 6 foot fencing
posts and a sledge hammer. Plus lots of cheap chisels which say "made in
China" instead of "made in Engand". Bike forks.

9a. Large Birmingham Screwdriver (also known as an Irish Screwdriver or
Engineering Hammer) - I have a little one which ways about 12lb.

10. A pair of bycicle fourks make anything go round, slide over your wrench,
and you can remove the crank bolt with them.   Put over your large
screwdriver and you can pry anything with them.  Put an old wheel, in them
spin the wheel, sit on a swivel chair and you can have hours of fun
experimenting with gyroscopic forces.