Re: Clutch questions

To: Growe58@aol.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Clutch questions
From: jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil (Bowen, Patrick A. RP2)
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 14:49:40
I just finished rebuilding my master cylinder (brake), for the second time.
 The first time I could not get any pressure to the back brakes, almost no
movement at all.  as it turned out the cylinder I had rebuilt had sat for a
coulple years and water gathering in the bottom had rusted and pitted the
cylinder.  I had the cylinder honed out and assumed it would be good
enough.  (yes I know what assuming will do, add two weeks to any job)  well
I was sucking air in past the seals and never had a m/c that was actually
bled thoughouly (yes i know it is misspelled)  I rebuilt the cylinder with
another one and low and behold the difference!  Were on the road again.  If
you aren't coming up with any other answers I would seriously start to look
at the m/c.

Patrick

At 01:08 PM 3/23/99 EST, Growe58@aol.com wrote:

>I'm assuming that you mean that the clutch doesn't disengage.
>
>I've had this happen to me several times; two of the more unusual causes
were:

>The pivot pin for the throwout bearing housing had sheared.  I was able to
get
>partial
>disengagement only - horrible gear grinding etc.  Required removal of the
>tranny to
>fix, but the parts are only a couple of bucks.
>
>One of the springs from the clutch disc fell out and wedged in the clutch
>preventing
>disengagement.  This required removing of the trans to diagnose and
>replacement of
>the entire clutch to fix.
>
>Hopefully your experience will be less traumatic!  Good luck
>
>-Greg
>

>In a message dated 3/23/99 11:21:01 AM EST, Charles_Crawford@amx.com writes:
>>
>>  Greetings All,
>>
>>  I am new to the list and need some help with my clutch not engaging.
>>  I have a 71 with a 1300 engine and when you depress the pedal, it doesn't
>> engage. I have checked the pulley movement for
>>  thrust washer problems and it doesn't appear to be moving. I can bleed
the
>> hydraulics and get some engagement, but never fully.
>>  I can look through the space in the bell housing next to the slave
cylinder
>> and see it moving what appears to be no more than a inch. The master
>cylinder
>> has rust spots on it's shaft and I am suspecting it first. The main
unknown
>> is my PO installed the clutch so I have no idea how that went.
>>  Any suggestions on how to proceed?
>>
>>  Thanks! Charles Crawford
>>  Charles_Crawford@amx.com

Patrick Bowen