Re: electrical system

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: electrical system
From: trunnell@mindspring.com (Glenn Trunnell)
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 19:26:27 -0500
Chris,

I have a '79 with a '76 alternator and I have the electronic ignition and
the electrical fuel pump and don't have any problems.  The late '79 and '80
models also had the electric fan as well and as far as I know used the same
alternator, so I don't think you should have any problems using the stock
setup.  I saw an electrical fuel pump exactly like the one my car has at
Advance Auto about a week ago.  In my opinion though I  would stick with
the mechanical fuel pump.  My pump is fairly noisy especially when I get
down to 1/4 of a tank or less and it's mounted next to the tank behind the
trunk board, so every time I need to get to it I have to take the spare and
everything out of the trunk.  I read in an article in Grassroots
Motorsports that they used a mechanical fuel pump to supply two DCOE webers
on a project Spit a few years ago and never exceeded it's capacity.  One
other problem is taht as long as the key is on the pump is pumping in case
of a broken fuel line or a fire this could be a problem.

Just my opinion.

Glenn Trunnell
'79 Spitfire