Spitfire spindles-uprights

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spitfire spindles-uprights
From: "Haynes, Mark" <mhaynes@ball.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 14:21:10 -0600
        O.K.-I'm relatively new to spitlist, though I've tried to help some
people with things I know about, now it's your turn:
        we (my brother and I) race a '65 spit in vintage, last year, we lost
a front wheel bearing during a practice. We replaced the bearings ( at the
track -between sessions-no mean feat when you're driving in 2 groups 35
minutes apart) ran the rest of the weekend. Upon later inspection, we
determined we'd gouged the spindle, so parts car ahoy, and we replaced the
whole upright and spindle. The part #s where the same . put it on the
ground, and lo and behold, the wheel touches (gouges into), the upper
A-Arms. Assuming the parts car's was bent/damaged, we returned to the old
spindle/upright combination and ran the rest of the season. This winter,
determined to get rid of the damaged parts, we bought another late model
spindle/upright. Tried to push the Spit out of the basement last night, and
it went nowhere. The wheel hangs up on the A-Arms again!!! We checked the
p/n's and they're the same,I know that there's a difference between late
model and early model uprights, but haven't a clue what it is. We can't seem
to get the spindle out of the old upright to change it, and are loathe to
use ultimate brute force on the only upright that works. The bushings were
just changed to Urethane top & bottom, so they're not the culprits. Also,
when we do use the upright that works, the brake caliper can't use the
backing plate because it rubs on the rotor. I have a feeling that it's all
related, but can't put my finger on it.---

ANY SUGGESTIONS OR RELEVANT EXPERIENCE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

Mark Haynes
'65 SPITFIRE RMVR #162