Electronic Ignition Question

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, spitfire-enthusiast@egroups.com
Subject: Electronic Ignition Question
From: "Victor B. Michael" <vmichael@enteract.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 14:31:23 -0500
Listers,

   I was hoping to swap the electronic ignition from a parts car ('78
Spit) to my '77 Spit, which currently has what I believe is the Lucas
45D4 distributor with the amplifier on the base. The electronic ignition
set that is coming off the parts car is stamped 45DM4 >>----> 1883
(41807A; part number I assume) with the amplifier a seperate box. The
box is black and marked Lucas AB14 (47261A). The coil is appears to be
aluminum and (had, until I wiped it off with carb cleaner :^\ ) a label
stating to use with a ballast resistor. The components from the parts
car seem very clean and hopefully will work properly.

   What I don't understand is why I have never seen this setup in the
parts guides I have? And since I haven't, will this setup work on my
'77? I would like to replace the '77 electronic ignition given it's
reputation for failure. Is this new one more reliable?

Thanks for any and all input - and remember, post to the list. ;)

Vic