Re: Smog -- Can anyone ID what I'm missing? (longish)

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Smog -- Can anyone ID what I'm missing? (longish)
From: John Weale <tyre@u.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 17:36:14 -0700 (PDT)
        I *hate* it when I dig up answers right after posting -- I tried
to figure it out before bothering you all, really!  Anyhow, I now believe
that the item in question is the gulp valve(thanks to the picture from Sam
and the Spitbits catalog page). Leading into my next, hopefully final,
questions:  does it belong on a later Federal emissions spitfire?  Thanks
to Glenn Trunnell's reply that seems to support my lack of an air rail,
anyone know if some 1500's were luck enough to not have a gulp valve?
Was there anything else slung in it's place, or any nice plug for the gulp
valve's connection to the intake manifold?  Worse case, anyone have a
spare gulp valve wandering about?

Gulplessly yours,

John Weale
1980 "British Racing Orange" Spitfire, TFVDW2AT005101

On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, John Weale wrote:

> My next question has a visual aid, what is the thing shown at
> http://weber.u.washington.edu/~tyre/pics/arrowed.jpg (picture is courtesy
> of Sam Gentry, and is what I wish my spit looked like -- I have a bolt
/cut/
> to the firewall.  Am I correct in thinking that it is (should be) the Air
> Injection System diverter and relief valve?
>
> My car has just a blocked off bit of hose coming out of the intake at that
> point.  As a 1980 Federal emissions vehicle, should I even *have*an AIS
/cut/

---======================== John Weale(jweale@u.washington.edu) ========---
The world does revolve around engineers... they pick the coordinate system.