Re: Pads under carpets WAS: Tunnel padding

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Pads under carpets WAS: Tunnel padding
From: Mike.Hopkins@mis.magna-europa.com
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 15:28:03 +0100

Triumph didnt fit any noise or insulation under the carpets as standard,
disregarding the carpet moulded backing.

The conspiracy theory would outline that triumph claim that they obviously
dont want their customers to lose the sports car appeal and are secretly
trying to promote other British industry i.e. pharmaceuticals, with the
continued need for heachache pills when they have been on long journeys...

However non paranoid drivers can also consider following the common sense
reason, as it could be argued that fitting such insulation would retain
water like a sponge, due to the spitfires sieve like qualities, which will
help with the rusting of floorpans. This is of course the reason why
drivers replacing carpets should buy the most expensive moulded ones so the
carpets dont suck up water and do the same (does this not go back to the
conspiracy theory)

Hope this little ditty has been of some help. By the way I am not paranoid
merely persecuted

While I was at it I took out the fiber pad under the
>footwell carpets ...
Chris

< sounds of thoughts churning inside skull>

OK, my '79 with the original carpets has NO insulation under them.

Anybody know if the factory put something (like jute) under the carpets?

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire
"I intend to live forever - so far, so good."